THE INTERSECTION OPS MANUAL

By Fiona Anderson.

Introduction

When I wrote the first version of this manual, there were no extant Ops manuals existing in the UK at that time, so I was very much feeling my way in the dark. I therefore had to make quite a number of changes, not only as I found out more about what I was supposed to be doing myself, but also as people in other areas gave me more information as to how they viewed their area's interaction with Ops. For that reason the Ops manual was issued in several drafts before the final version went out.

In hindsight after the convention, there are also a number of other changes I would like to have made. So this should in no way be viewed as the "ideal" way to write an Ops Manual, and in any case, I would be surprised if anyone wanted to use it as is, since all conventions, and particularly all larger conventions, have their own special circumstances which are bound to change the way each one does things…

CONTENTS

1 IF YOU'VE GOT A PROBLEM - CALL OPS!
2 OPS DIVISION STRUCTURE
3 INTRODUCTION
4 THE INTERSECTION OPS ROOM
5 THE DCM SYSTEM
6 OPS STAFF - GUIDELINES
7 INTERACTION WITH TECH
8 INTERACTION WITH STEWARDS/SECURITY
9 INTERACTION WITH FINANCE
10 INTERACTION WITH SITE
11 INTERACTION WITH GOPHER HOLE
12 INTERACTION WITH LOGISTICS/SECURE STORE
13 INTERACTION WITH INFORMATION DESK
14 INTERACTION WITH PROGRAM OFFICE AND HALL MANAGERS
15 INTERACTION WITH ATCON OFFICE
16 DISABLED ACCESS
17 MASQUERADE AND OTHER PHOTOGRAPHY
18 INTERACTION WITH PRESS LIAISON
19 CHANNEL 4 TV
20 INTERACTION WITH SPONSORS
2l HEALTH AND SAFETY
22 ELECTRICAL ITEMS
23 WEAPONS POLICY - AND WHAT OPS WILL AND WILL NOT DO CONCERNING IT
24 EMERGENCY PROCEDURES - FIRE/MEDICAL/BOMB/ETC
25 PROCEDURES - SIMPLE PROBLEMS
26 BIG OR AWKWARD PROBLEMS
27 LATE NIGHT PROCEDURES
28 RADIOS, BLEEPS, AND TELEPHONES
29 HANDY HINTS FOR USING A RADIO
30 RADIOS - GENERAL OUTLINE AND PROCEDURE

1 IF YOU'VE G0T A PROBLEM - CALL OPS!

Contact Ops and tell us your problem. We will then try to solve it by:

a) sending gophers to help
b) supplying specialists (Tech, stewards, etc.) to help.
c) giving a decision what to do based on Committee policy.
d) sending the Ops Trouble-shooter to you (more on this below)

Ops exists to solve your problems whether large or small.

If you want gophers, you must ask Ops, as we are the only people who can supply them. If you want money, Ops holds a very small float and can contact Finance for more expensive items.

If you want the SECC to do ANYTHING you must contact Ops - this service is likely to cost us serious money. For the services of specialists, Ops will be able to contact the right people to deal with your particular problem.

You may meet the OPS TROUBLE-SHOOTER going round the convention.

They will deal with really difficult problems, giving an on-the-spot decision what to do. Their decision carries the full allthority of the Ops Manager, and what they decide goes. They may also turn up in your area, just to check if there are any upcoming problems you think that Ops ought to know about in advance.

Ops is not going to be interfering in how you run your department - we won't have the time, even if we felt like it.

Ops exists to solve whatever problems crop up, so that you can get on with your work with as little hassle as possible .

Once you have passed the problem to Ops though, it is then out of your hands. It is Ops' responsibility to solve it, by whatever means.

Ops may decide the problem needs passed up to the DCM (Duty Convention Manager) who has the ultimate responsibility for the convention. This should only happen in very rare circumstances, when the problem a of potentially disastrous proportions. The DCM can only be contacted via Ops or the Program Office.

Contact Ops by:

a) internal Mercury telephone (these are cheap or free to us)
b) external BT telephone (these cost us money)
c) send someone to the Ops Room
d) radio
e) the emergency Ops telephone number - this is ONLY for real emergencies.

2 OPS DIVISION STRUCTURE

Deputy Chair: Fiona Anderson

Division Head: Patty Wells

Tech: Richard Rampant

Stewards: John Harold

Logistics/Secure Store: Eamonn Patton

Gopher Hole: Miranda Aldham-Breary

Gopher Welfare: Andrew Adams

Information Desk: Alison Scott

AtCon Office: Peter Bell

Newsletter: Steve Davies

3 INTRODUCTION

Most of the material covered here will be familiar to you. Most convention problems ate similar no matter where the con is held.

For cultural reference you need to understand that this is primarily a British style Ops at a UK Worldcon. The differences from the British style are incorporated to deal with the larger size of the convention.

One of the features added into our system is the Program Office, which will deal with all Program problems i.e. problems involving: Program participants, program items, Guests, etc. The program Office is intending to have a Hall Manager in each Hall to monitor how things are going, and to keep Program Office informed.

Within the British style Ops system there is the DCM duty Convention manager), who is usually a Board member, but not always so. This is the person to whom Ops will pass the really major problems and who carries the final responsibility for the convention at any one time. There will be a number of people taking turns in this role.

One of the other differences between the US/UK( styles of Ops is the split between Ops and Stewards staff. At this convention stewards will be a separate department with 2 types of staff: static door watchers/ and roving teams who will tour the con at intervals and who will be on their own separate radio net.

These roving teams will keep their eyes and ears open around the con, and will report in to their own Stewards base, who will pass up to Ops anything they think Ops should know.

Ops may also request Stewards to send a team to deal with a situation. Our Stewards are picked for their quiet non-confrontational attitude, and are very competent at calming situations down and ensuring the smooth running of the convention.

4 THE INTERSECTION OPS ROOM

The idea is to deal with all incoming problems at the lowest possible level. Only difficult problems will get passed on up the chain, and only truly horrendous problems will get up as far as the Ops Manager:

DCM

Ops Manager Ops Trouble-shooter

Ops Deputies (radio/front desk/telephone)

Ops Crew

PROBLEMS

As the problem arrives, the Ops Crew person attempts to solve it, or passes it to the Ops Deputy. If the Ops crew are busy, they give the person a Problem Sheet to fill in (listing name, time, type of problem, etc). Then if the person can't wait, the crew will still be able to pick up on that problem when the busy time slacks off.

The Deputy then solves it, or passes it to the Ops Manager. The Ops Manager sits at their desk in the background letting everyone else get on with their jobs, drinking coffee and hoping to remain undisturbed. The Ops Manager may decide what to do about a problem, or to send out the Ops Trouble-shooter to take a look at the problem (and give an on-the-spot decision).

If the problem is truly vile and urgent the Ops Manager may pass it to either of the Ops Chiefs (Patty or Fiona) whichever of them is officially on duty will have a radio, but both will be on bleep (bleeper) and mobile phone all the time.

If a problem requires the DCM to be called in then Fiona/Patty should be informed immediately after the DCM has been contacted.

The Ops Trouble-shooter a NOT based in the Ops room. Instead they circulate round the Departments at the con (once a shift) to check if there are any predictable problems coming up that Ops ought to know about. The OT will have a radio.

GENERAL REMARKS

When not on duty, people should not be in the Ops Room. Several reasons include:

a) The radio operators need quiet to hear properly. This is vital especially as new people get to grips with using the radio - they need every possible consideration.
b) We need calm and quiet to deal with real emergencies as they occur.
c) The Ops Room is a place of work - let's socialise elsewhere! I would like to stress that there will be fans of many different nationalities working together in Ops. Everyone's going to need to be flexible and adaptable with the differences in style, language, and customs between UK / US / Europeans - we' re going to have to be adjusting to each other like crazy, but that's part of the fun of fandom . . .

SHIFTS

The Ops Room will run on shifts of hours duration mostly. Every 3 hours one complete crew is replaced by another entirely different crew. Thus a typical 0830- 0100 day will have shifts. Late shifts will have less people on duty.

Should people discover at con that their assigned shifts clash with things they really want to see, then they can arrange to swap shifts with someone else, and they must make a note of this on the master schedule in the Ops Room.

If Ops Managers or Ops Trouble-shooters want to swap shifts they must inform Fiona or Patty beforehand.

5 THE DCM SYSTEM

This will be different from the normal UK Eastercon DCM system. Instead of having one person as DCM, we will be having a team of people to whom major problems can be referred. All Site, Finance, or Program problems should go to those departments. All other problems referred up by the Ops Manager or Ops Trouble-shooter should go to Fiona or Patty (whichever is on duty), who will either solve it or pass it to the

DCM Level: Chair Ops Chief Site Finance Program Chief

Ops Room Program Office

All other departments

6 OPS STAFF - GUIDELINES

When you arrive at con, sign up against your name on the master schedule in the Ops Room that your assigned shifts are OK. If your shifts are not OK try to find someone to swap with, and mark the swap on the master schedule. Arrive 15 minutes before your shift is due to start, to be briefed on any ongoing or upcoming problems. Keep a note of problems in the log books.

OPS CREW

1.Answer the telephone, radio. or personal callers.
2.If their problem is easy, deal with it yourself, otherwise give it to the Ops Deputy.
3.If you are on the radio, familiarise yourself with the radio procedure document.
4.If anyone is giving you grief, give them to the Ops Deputy to deal with.

OPS DEPUTY

1.Familiarise yourself with the Ops Manual.
2.Familiarise yourself with ongoing and upcoming problems from the previous shift.
3.Try to train your crew assistant, giving them easy problems to deal with at first, and more complex ones as they gain confidence. The more you give your assistant to do, the less you have to do, and they won't get bored.
4.If the problem is straightforward, deal with it yourself, otherwise give it to the Ops manager or to the Ops Trouble-shooter.
5.If anyone is giving you grief give them to the Ops Manager to deal with.

OPS MANAGER

1.Arrive 25 minutes before your shift is due to start.
2.You are responsible for running the Ops Room during your shift.
3.Familiarise yourself with the Ops Manual.
4.Familiarise yourself with the ongoing and upcoming problems from the previous shift.
5.Let your staff get on with their jobs - this is the hardest thing to learn - and don't interfere until they call you in for a major problem.
6.If the problem is straightforward deal with it yourself. Otherwise you can send out the Ops Trouble-shooter to take a look, who will give an on-the-spot decision what to do.
7.If it is not straightforward pass it to Fiona or Patty to deal with.
8.If staff do not turn up for a shift call the Gopher Hole for extra people to take the crew jobs, call the Ops trouble-shooter to find extra people for the deputy jobs. If the Ops Manager or Trouble-shooter don't turn up, Fiona or Patty will immediately step into that job.
9.Consult Fiona or Patty if :
j)you have doubt about what committee policy is, and it's not yet urgent
k)you are getting persistent problems that seem to be built into the system
l)you are getting persistent problems with the way another department is interacting with Ops

OPS TROUBLE-SHOOTER

1.Familiarise yourself with the Ops Manual
2.Sign out a radio from Tech (in the Hebrides room in the Moathouse) at the beginning of your shift and sign it in again at the end.
3.You will be called on to go and look at serious problems, and to make on-the-spot decisions. You are the Ops Manager equivalent in allthority. If the problem is truly dire and urgent, get the Ops Room to call in Fiona or Patty to deal with it.
4.Consult Fiona or Patty if you are getting any of the problems under (7) in the Ops Manager' s brief.
5.Tour round the departments once a shift to discover if there are any predictable problems upcoming that Ops should know about.

OPS CHIEFS

(Fiona Anderson/Patty Wells)

Will represent Ops at the DCM level.

Will both be on bleep (beeper) and mobile phone at all times.
Whichever is officially on duty will have a radio as well.

Both will deal with problems that are systemic, or involve detailed knowledge of committee policy, or involve difficulties with other departments ways of working, or involve personality clashes within Ops itself.

There will be occasions when Fiona and Patty are in possession of information not in the Ops Manual so questions that are not urgent, but seem potentially large trouble should be referred to them.

Should an Ops Manager/Ops Trouble-shooter fail to turn up for their duty, either Fiona or Patty will immediately step into that job.

Fiona and Patty will represent Ops at any divisional meetings/briefings that may take place, and keep Ops informed of any decisions taken at such meetings, and they will pass along the persistent problems we're encountering

7 INTERACTION WITH TECH

There will be 2 Duty Managers for Tech on shift at any time. One will be in hall 5, and have his own Tech team permanently in that hall all day. The other will be mobile, and available to deal with Tech problems anywhere else in the convention. Both will be on bleep and on radio.

All other Tech staff will report in person to the Ops Room 15 minutes before the start of their shift time. The Ops Room will tick them off on the Tech shift list. Should a techie fail to turn up by the start of their shift, the Ops Room will inform the roving Tech manager.

When the techie reports in, the Ops Room will take their order for a soft drink, and arrange for a gopher to deliver it to the techie's place of work.

Although Tech shifts are nominally 3 hours each, many techies will be doing 6 hour shifts, so the Ops room also needs to arrange for gophers to deliver a hot snack to such techies These snacks will be obtained from the Gopher Hole catering outlet , therefore we need to ensure the Gopher Hole Shift Managers have enough reward tickets to hand to do this - also ONLY the techies signed up for d hours or more should get a snack delivered, though all of them get a soft drink once a shift.

The techies will be on radio. They will report any problems to Ops who will pass such messages to the Tech Managers on duty, if it's a Tech problem, and to other departments as appropriate.

The techies will be on the Ops radio channel - they will not have their own separate channel. This means they must obey the directions of the Ops Room radio operator, as must everyone else on our net - but don't be too officious with them about procedure - techies are normally on their own separate net with their own special procedure, so it may take them a while to adjust to Ops radio procedures.

Tech holds the stocks of radios in their base, and people needing radios should sign them out from there. This allows the techies to keep track of radios and recharge batteries etc.

Each hall should have the kit it needs permanently there. Small portable items may be moved between the halls on kept in the tech base (Hebrides room/Moathouse) any sudden requests for tech kit must be referred to the Tech manager.

Tech shifts will change on the hour, so Ops shifts will change on the half hour. Tech shifts are 9-12, 12-3, 3-6, 6-9, 9-midnight.

8 INTERACTION WITH STEWARDS/SECURITY

The Stewards/Security base is immediately next door to Ops.

There will be general door-watchers/badge-checkers at the 2 ends of the concourse, and at the entrance to hall 4.

There will be Fan Fare stewards permanently based in Hall 4, and Art Show stewards permanently based in the Art Show.

Fan Fare and Art Show stewards come under the overall control of John Harold, but will act directly to the control of Fan Fare and Art Show heads.

There will also be roving teams, who will have radios, and who will report in to their own Stewards base, who may decide to pass information or problems up to Ops at their discretion.

These teams will act as eyes and ears for Ops , as well as sorting out stewarding/;security problems.

The SECC have their own security guards, and these will be working very closely with John Harold.

They are also on radio, and should be connected into our security radio frequency as well as their own, so they will be very, quickly contactable.

(Emergency procedures and evacuation are covered elsewhere in this manual)

Access to Areas after they are closed (e.g. Art Show after hours) will only be allowed to a particular list of named persons as supplied by that Area Head in advance. The only other access will be by Security Staff themselves. There will be sleepers in Art Show after it has officially closed and they will have the key to the connecting door between Art Show/Dealers Room, which will be closed during the day, when Art Show Security will hold the key.

Sylvia Starshins is i/c Art Show, Caroline Mullan is i/c Dealers' Room, and both will be contactable via bleep. There are 2 SECC guards on 24 hour duty in Hall 4, which is also covered by 24 hour security cameras.

The Moon Rock escorts will be arranged via John Harold who is liaising with the SECC Security over this.

Finance will be operating a petty cash system in the Stewards office, apart from their other functions elsewhere.

9 INTERACTION WITH FINANCE

Finance will have their own secure location elsewhere. They will also have a small petty cash outpost in our Security Room.

For larger expenses than petty cash items, you can either phone Finance to ask them to approve it, or you can ask Fiona to approve up to GBP 500.

For the Gopher Refreshments or more water refills, you MUST refer this to Fiona (not Patty, becallse I am controlling the Ops Division budget).

I am likely to refuse permission to refill the water cooler fairly early in the con, and I am likely to refuse permission to refill coffee/tea mid-to-late con (unless our finances improve with a lot of walk-ins). This is so I can continue to finance the Gopher Refreshment Tickets throughout the whole con.

When I say refills, one refill of coffee/tea is 5000 cups. One refill of water is 19 liters. One refill of cans is 1000 cans of assorted soft drinks.

In the unlikely even of having spent less on the Gopher Refreshments than expected, such money will be used to help pay for the Gopher Party.

10 INTERACTION WITH SITE

Site will be contactable by bleep.

It may happen that people want extra services or equipment from the SECC. ALL SUCH QUERIES MUST BE PASSED TO OUR SITE PEOPLE. This is becallse any service or equipment (however minor) can cost us serious money. Ops may NOT okay such requests under any circumstances.

Requests for extra water/tea/coffee/cans for the gopher Hole MUST be referred to Fiona (see Finance section for explanation). If Fiona approves the request, she will put it to Site, if she doesn't she will tell you so.

11 INTERACTION WITH GOPHER HOLE

The idea is for departments to request gophers prior to the con, for particular items, so the Gopher Hole can pre-recruit gophers for these items early on. They will have wall timesheets showing which Areas have put in early requests for gophers for particular jobs. All Areas should be made aware that the later they put in a request for gophers, the more difficult it is to recruit gophers for that job.

During the con, the departments may request gophers, but all such requests MUST go through Ops. Ops will then decide an order of priority, if there are not enough gophers to cope with all the requests. Anyone who contacts the Gopher Hole without going through Ops will be directed back to Ops and reminded of our system.

Ops will contact the Gopher Hole by radio - they are also on the Ops radio channel.

The Gopher Hole will issue timesheets to gophers, to be signed and rubber-stamped by an Area' s Shift Manager, as each gopher completes some work for that Area. These rubber-stamps will be supplied by John Harold and the Gopher Hole will hold a list of the designs.

There will be Gopher Reward Tickets given out (one per 3 hours worked), to be exchanged at the catering stand beside the Gopher Hole.

Areas should hand these out ONLY to their own staff - gophers will all get theirs from the Gopher Hole, no matter which Area they have been working in. There will also be T-shirts given out after a certain total of hours worked, as recorded on the timesheets.

Gopher Hole and the other Areas should all hold a limited number of Reward Tickets, and report to Finance each day how many they have issued. Requests for more tickets should also go to Finance.

Finance will collect in all GRT's at the end of each day, from every Area, and the ones that have been spent at the potato or pasta stands, as well as the ones spent at the Gopher Hole for cans.

Requests for refills of water/coffee/tea/cans MUST go to Fiona for approval. (See Finance section for explanation).

At the end of the convention all timesheets need to be collected in and given to Finance, so that they can calculate any partial refunds later, should the convention make a profit.

12 INTERACTION WITH LOGISTICS/SECURE STORE

Logistics will organise transport of certain items to and from the con, and their storage during the con. Eamonn Patton is in charge of Logistics. His van drivers are Andrew Adams, Andy Croft, David Wake. The van may also be used to transport Sylvia Starshine's own artboards pre-con, and possibly post-con. It may be used to ferry the Green Room leftovers (cans of drink etc.) to the Gopher Party in the Crest Hotel on Monday night.

(There are other storage areas for Tech/program.).

Secure Store is situated right next to the Ops room. When Secure Store is closed, all requests for items from it will be handled by the Ops Room.

Areas with anything stored in the Secure Store must supply Ops with a list of names of people who are allowed to remove their Area's items from Secure Store, and with a list of those particular items, so that we know exactly who is allowed to remove exactly what.

Anyone else arriving at Secure Store will be queried, and their Department will be contacted for confirmation before that person is allowed to remove anything at all.

The van for transporting stuff back to London will leave at 1400 Tuesday. Everything on the loading list must be loaded up by then. Consult Eamonn Patton for details of what is on the loading list.

The Eastercon artboards will be going back on the van, so they need to be taken down either Monday night or Tuesday morning. People who can do this are: Chris Cooper, Tim Illingworth, Pat McMurray, John Stewart, Bazooka, and Robert Sneddon. These particular artboards (there are several different sets of artboards) are located at the Gopher Hole, the Voodoo board, some parts of the Art Show. There is a separate document on Logistics available to be consulted.

13 INTERACTION WITH INFORMATION DESK

This will be situated on the concourse, directly in front of the Ops Room. There will be a Glasgow Tourist Board desk directly beside it.

It will be open 10 am - 6 pm, except that it will open later on Thursday and close earlier on Monday.

The Info desk will monitor the Voodoo board and deal with fannish queries.

They should dispense the language ribbons. They will therefore have a display showing which language has which colour ribbon, a copy of which will be held in Ops. They may ask Ops to put out an APB to find someone wearing that colour language ribbon to do some translation, as needed. They may direct fans to the Ops Room for help with their particular problems. The Program Office should keep the Info Desk informed of any changes to the program on any day.

Ops should keep the Information Desk informed of anything that comes up that ordinary fans need to know.

Concorde Services also has an office on the concourse, which hotel accommodation problems can be referred to. In the case of more serious hotel queries, they may decide to pass those to Ops, and Ops may decide to pass them to Site.

Medical problems - the SECC has a full time medical staff on call (radio and telephone, as well as an office near hall 5), so medical queries can be directed to them, though Ops must be informed of all such medical queries (see list for logging medical problems).

The Information Desk may also act as a news collecting point, with a box where people can leave reports for the Newsletter, and will have piles of the Newsletter delivered there for fans to help themselves.

The Information Desk will keep a list of lost property handed in at the SECC, but the actual lost property will be kept in the AtCon Office, who will have a copy of that list.

Lost property handed in at any of the hotels will be dealt with by that hotel's reception desk.

14 INTERACTION WITH PROGRAM OFFICE AND HALL MANAGERS

The Program Office will deal with all Program problems, including Program changes, Green Room problems, Guest problems.

The Program Office will have a person in charge of the Program - Tina Hewett, Stuart Hendren, or James Steel - it will also have a shift manager. Beside it is the main Green Room (open 10-7), but there will also be green rooming areas in the Moathouse (day/afternoon), the Crest (evening), the Central (evening, and in the Art Show and Fan Lounge areas of Hall 4.

The Program Office will inform the Newsletter of the next day' s Program, by the night before, as a double sided A4 sheet grid layout for publication in the first Newsletter of the next day.

Ops will deal with all other problems.

Where there is doubt or overlap, then either Ops or Program will deal with the problem (whichever gets it) and inform each other what they have done.

In each Hall there will be a Hall Manager, to ensure Program items are running smoothly, and to keep Program Office informed of any problems. They will have their own radios on the Program frequency.

As we need a lot of people to help with an evacuation, according to the SECC requirements, the Hall Managers will arrange for reserved seats to be available in the Program Halls, and any gopher/steward wishing to take advantage of this reserved seating must report to the Hall manager, who will give them the evacuation stewards orange armband and brief them. When the gopher/steward leaves that Hall, they must return the armband to the Hall Manager.

If there is a shortage of gophers, then the priority will be for us to supply gophers to help in the Moathouse, in the 3 video rooms, to both watch over the video tape (and possibly change it), and to do badge checking.

15 INTERACTION WITH ATCON OFFICE

The AtCon Office is situated directly beside the Ops Room. It will be open 9 am - 6 pm.

ALL telephone calls from the public, press and others will be connected to the AtCon Office. Thus the Office acts as :

a) an information centre, answering all the general enquiries from the public, from members, and from the press and official bodies. The Office will direct queries from the Press to our Press Liaison people directly (who are in a nearby room), or ask Ops to bleep these.
b) it has an Important function as a filter, dealing with all the routine enquiries and leaving Ops, Security and other Con areas free to deal with more specific problems.
c) it is also an exchange which directs more specific enquiries to the appropriate area, e.g. Ops, Security etc. There will also be a concertina file in the Office where they will keep written messages/notes for named staff who may come in to pick them up.
d) the spare wheelchairs for Disabled Access will be kept in the Office. They will be given out on the direction of Cuddles, who is contactable by bleep. All users of these should have made arrangements with Cuddles prior to the con. Any queries about them should be directed to her.
e) lost property will be kept in the Office, and the Office will liaise with the Information Desk to ensure that both have a complete list of all lost property held/ where it was found/etc
f) should the Office receive a telephone Bomb Threat they will immediately inform the SECC Security, then our own Security, then Ops. At that point we should be preparing to initiate an evacuation, but only to actually do so on the advice of the SECC Senior Security Manager, who will inform our Chief Steward if he decides to do it. (See Emergency Procedures section)

Pre-con the Office will perform all of the above functions. In addition, it will provide information to con staff not yet on site, and link them as necessary with people already on site.

Should the AtCon Office have insufficient staff then the shift manager will ask Ops to find a gopher. Should there be a shortage of gophers, the Office shift manager will ask the Ops Manager to lend one of the crew to help in the Office. The Ops manager may or may not decide to do this.

When the AtCon Office is closed, the keys will be held in Ops by the Ops Manager, and the Ops Room will ask the SECC switchboard to redirect all telephone calls for the convention Office to the Ops Room.

16 DISABLED ACCESS

Cuddles is in charge of Disabled Access, and she is contactable by bleep.

She has a note of everyone who has registered with Disabled Access, and should be contacted if there are any problems.

She has ordered 7 wheelchairs, including 3 powered chairs to be delivered Thursday and removed Tuesday - these are only available to people who have registered with her prior to the con, who will be charged a fee. There are also 4 manual wheelchairs, of which 2 have already been allocated. The other 2 will be available for short-term use, on making a request to Cuddles. They will be delivered and picked up on the same days as the powered wheelchairs.

During the con, any unused wheelchairs, batteries, chargers, will be stored in the AtCon Office.

There will be signs up around the convention to designate areas for Access users, provided they and their helpers are wearing Access buttons. Cuddles will liaise with John Harold about these Access buttons etc.

17 MASQUERADE AND OTHER PHOTOGRAPHY

It is planned to run the Masquerade photocall before the actual event. The photocall area will be divided into 2 parts - flash and "natural" (i.e. floodlight). Queries about this should be directed to Gytha North (Extravaganzas) or Pete Tyers (Con Photography).

People wishing to take advantage of this photocall will register with Pete Tyers, and will be given an appropriate label to wear to gain admittance to it.

Flash photography is strictly forbidden during the Masquerade, and stewards will monitor this. This is due to safety - costurners in costurnes with restricted vision on a darkened stage could have an accident if flash is used then. There are other safety implications for people with medical problems that can be aggravated by flash.

Photography at other events will not be subject to a ban on using flash and photocalls will be arranged where possible.

Video cameras will only be allowed in positions where they do not disturb or interfere with the enjoyment of the audience. They must run on batteries (see Electrical Items section)

Should Program Participants object to photography during their items, the Hall Manager or the panel moderator will make an announcement before the item starts. This announcement will either be a complete ban on photography during the event with a photo session at the end or just a blanket ban. Unless such an announcement is made, there are no restrictions on photography.

18 INTERACTION WITH PRESS LIAISON

There will be a Press Liaison room near Ops. This will not be staffed full-time, instead the Press Liaison people will be contactable by bleep.

Press have 4 options

a)they can register (and pay) in the normal way for any con-goer, and make their own observations as they wander around the convention, exactly as other attendees can.
b)there is free admission for the Press on Thursday.
c)they can make arrangements to have a specific interview at a specific time with representatives of Intersection, or with fans, or with whoever, and will then be escorted to and from the Press Liaison room by our own Press Liaison people, and to anywhere else suitable (if they want a photograph for example) There will be two interview slots a day, by appointments - this has been announced in our press pack, issued prior to the convention.
d)they can be with Channel 4, with whom we have an arrangement.

Journalists will be given Press ribbons - as a warning to the unwary!

We will not be issuing general press passes/giving more favourable rates/letting them in free (except under arrangements specified in b) and (c) above.

There may be a photo/interview call for press after the Hugos/Masquerade, for which journalists will have had to sign up in advance.

In the event of a press problem, it should be referred to our Press liaison staff - if they are unavailable, then it should go to Claire Brialey or Mark Plummer both of whom are likely to be found in the Dealer's Room)

19 CHANNEL 4 TV

Channel 4 TV will be filming around the convention. Their plans at present include:

a)An outside broadcast "special event unit" in Glasgow Thursday/Friday, which will be talking to local people about SF etc.

b)Thursday - filming of people preparing for the convention, and talking about what they want out of it. They will be looking for costurners and filkers to show what they will be doing. This will go out on a TV program to be broadcast during the convention weekend.

c)Saturday/Sunday at their studios - a live debate on SF

d)the "Big Breakfast" may be filming on Friday morning at the convention.

20 INTERACTION WITH SPONSORS

All problems with sponsors need to be logged.
Our sponsors include

Wizards Of the Coast
Legend
Barco
Microsoft

British Diabetic Association (not a sponsor, but Dave has the deal with them). When people arrive with donations for the BDA auction, either Dave Power or Sylvia Starshine should be notified. In particular, if there is a call from Customs checking that the auction is valid (so donations can be imported without duty or VAT) then such calls should be passed to Dave.

(New Era Publications - unconfirmed.)
(Grolier recording material - unconfirmed.)

Details that need to be logged are:

1.The name of the person and their company (since WOTC may have 24 staff on site, it is essential to get the name of the person as well as the company)
2.Date and time of the problem
3.Description of the problem
4.Solution of the problem.

The Ops Room should attempt to solve the problem, and should also bleep Dave Power to notify him of the problem and the solution.

However, if the sponsor has a problem with the terms of the sponsorship deal this must NOT be handled by Ops staff but given to Dave Power instead. Dave negotiated these deals, and he knows the details. There is no circumstance under which Ops should agree to giving any sponsor anything new, without referring them to Dave

21 HEALTH AND SAFETY

There will be an information leaflet on Intersection's Health and Safety policy issued to every person who works on Intersection. Thus every Area must be supplied with copies of this leaflet to give to their staff.

ALL volunteers/staff must sign that they have read the H+S leaflet, on the Volunteer Form, before they are allowed to do any work for us, and before they are given a ribbon. Each Area must keep all the signed forms for its own workers. The Gopher Hole will have all the forms for casual volunteers/gophers.

The main message of this leaflet will be that Health and Safety will be the responsibility of each person, so if you see something wrong, report it before there is a chance of anything going wrong.

Any concerns regarding possible safety issues should be referred to Gytha North, who is responsible for Health and Safety.

Any actual safety incidents (e.g. accidents) should be reported to Gytha North as well as following the normal procedure.

Copies of the SECC Health and Safety Procedures booklet will be available in the Ops Room.

22 ELECTRICAL ITEMS

ALL electric items WITHOUT EXCEPTION must be tested and certificated by Tech prior to their use anywhere in the SECC. This includes kettles!

Any item being used around the SECC without the tag showing it has been tested will be removed and locked away in Secure Store for the duration of the convention, appropriately labeled.

Since use of untested equipment can lead to the convention being shut down, this MUST be rigorously enforced.

There will be a tech team set up to check stuff that is going into the SECC as early as possible. The priorities will be:

1.Registration
2.Fan Fair/Art Show
3.Program
4.Dealers

Security and Stewards will keep their eyes open at all times to check electrical equipment has a tag to show it has been tested and will remove any untested items, while informing Ops of the removal, and of all details (e.g. owner, place, time, circumstances). If the user is uncooperative, then they may be requested to leave the convention.

All staff are reminded that all equipment should be inspected before each use for any obvious signs of damage or unfitness for use by the user. If in doubt, refer to Tech for advice and testing.

23 WEAPONS POLICY - and what Ops will and will not do concerning it

No weapons will be allowed to be carried at the convention. This includes edged weapons, projectile firing weapons, any replica or facsimile weapons, or any other object the committee deems to be dangerous.

If an object looks dangerous enough to cause concern to other convention attendees, please leave it at home.

The exception to this is the Masquerade.

Subject to approval of the Masquerade Director, obtained in advance, a weapon may be used as part of a costurne. However, arrangements must be made to transport the object to and from the event carefully wrapped.

PRACTICAL DETAILS

1.Gytha North is responsible for checking all weapons to be used in the Masquerade and a NO from her is final.
2.John Harold is responsible for checking all weapons round the con, and a No from him or his team is final.
3.Should anyone other than a Steward/Security person be approached about deciding: if a weapon is okay, they MUST immediately pass the person and their weapon to John Harold and his team for a decision.

This is to prevent people bugging every member of the committee in turn to try to get their weapon passed without getting an OK from our security.

4.Caroline Mullan has already provided Dealers with info on how to handle weapons sales and weapons buyers. (Basically that every weapon is carried away carefully wrapped)

5.Security may decide to ask the Ops Trouble shooter to come down and give a high-level NO to someone who needs that type of crushing. But Ops will not overrule a NO from Security concerning weapons.

24 EMERGENCY PROCEDURES - fire/medical/bomb/etc.

Read through the SECC Emergency procedures booklet and familiarise yourself with their procedures.

In the case of an emergency, start the SECC procedure, and then inform Fiona and Patty, and the co-Chairs and Deputy Chairs.

The Security/Stewards shift manager - who will contact John Harold.

The Program Office.

The SECC will have briefed us on their codewords on the Wednesday prior to the con.

MEDICAL EMERGENCIES

a) First Aid problems can be directed to the SECC medical staff: but the accident/injury MUST be noted in the ops log, with these details;

i. The name of the injured person, and badge number. Badge number allows for easy tracking of true name and badge name against home address. It also allows for a quick check with Disabled access for known medical problems (e.g. diabetic) declared by the individual. (Remember that medical details other than the emergency should not be given over the radio)
ii. The name of the person who attended to the problem.
iii. The time.
iv. The location - *exactly* where the injury happened, so that follow up action (e.g. roping the area off) can be taken later.
v. The nature of the injury and how it occurred
vi. If there is likely to be any follow up action needed - was the injury caused by faulty or unsafe equipment by unsafe working practices, by assault, or what?

If it is something utterly trivial, no need to inform the people on the list, unless follow-up action will be required. Gytha North should be informed if there are any Health and Safety implications. Gytha is the Board's Health and Safety Co-ordinator.

b) More serious injuries, procedure as above, but all the people on the list at the beginning of this page MUST be informed as well as Gytha North (H&S). A photograph of the injury site wouId be helpful for any subsequent official enquiry. (Consult Gytha for names of possible photographers.)

c) Death - this should be treated as a medical emergency. Nobody should decide a person is dead Instead we must make every effort to resuscitate them until the SECC medical team arrive to take over. Procedure as in the SECC Emergency Procedures booklet. ALL the people on the list to be informed immediately.

FIRE

Start the SECC fire procedure, as in the SECC Emergency procedures booklet Familiarise yourself with the evacuation procedure (SECC and ours), in case the SECC decide this is necessary.

If so, then the SECC senior guard on duty in that Hall will alert our chief of security, who will inform Ops.

The SECC will tell us the codewords they are using, so that our people hearing those can know to get into position to help direct the evacuation in whatever Hall they are in at the time.

Inform everyone on the list - unless the alarms are already going off.

Don't forget to evacuate yourselves.

BOMB THREAT

Start the SECC Bomb Threat procedure, as in the SECC Emergency Procedures booklet. Inform the people on the list at the beginning ofpage 18 (of this manual). Familiarise yourself with the evacuation procedure (SECC and ours), in case the SECC decide this is necessary. If so, then the SECC senior security Officer will alert our chief of security, who will inform Ops

Again, listen out for the SECC codewords, which will alert our evacuation people to get into position to help direct the evacuation in whatever Hall they are in.

EVACUATION

This is extremely unlikely to occur and should not be a first response reaction. The SECC Security staff will be in overall charge of this. All the people in the list on page 18 to be informed immediately if an evacuation is likely, or if it is ordered. Only the SECC senior security officer has the authority to order and evacuation, and he will inform our chief of security (John Harold or his deputy), who will inform Ops.

Possible causes would be a due, a bomb threat, other threats to safety.

There are two possible types of evacuation: either the whole SECC building is evacuated or one Hall on its own is evacuated.

Program and Extravaganzas are responsible for giving the appropriate speech to audiences as required. The text of this speech is being prepared by John Harold and Gytha North. For any Hall being evacuated, our Security will be sent to assist if appropriate, but NOT if there is a clear danger to them as well.

A number of people will be designated as "Evacuation Marshals". During an evacuation these people will outrank *everyone*.

They must know the SECC codewords (or particular types of evacuation) that will be used to tell our people to get into place to help direct the evacuation in the Hall they are in.

They must familiarise themselves with the layout of fire lanes in their Hall, the location of the nearest fire exits to their Area, the SECC evacuation procedures, as set out in the SECC Emergency procedures Booklet .

They will be supplied with "Evacuation Marshall" armbands, which they must have on them at all times, but wear concealed until and unless and evacuation is ordered.

The Co-Chairs or their Deputies (whichever are on duty at the time) should each go to one of the fire points (there are 2, one at each end of the building). Their job will be to help keep control there, and to pass information to the fans gathering there, to reassure people, and to prevent rumours flying, but *most of all* to discourage people from going back in "to find out what's happening". Since the Chairs/Deputies are on mobile phones, they will be able to call Ops to send help if there is a real problem outside. They will also call each other to make sure they are not all heading to the same fire point!

Security will send a steward with a radio to each fire point outside to assist the Chairs and Deputies.

Hall 1 - during the time that Registration is in there, the Registration shift manager will be responsible for directing people to the Emergency exits, but they should also remember their own safety!

Hall. 1 - when it changes to a program hall the Hall manager will be responsible for directing people to the emergency exits.

Hall 2 - film program. The film crew will direct the evacuation.

Hall 3 - programming. The Hall manager will direct people to the emergency exits

Hall 5 - Extravaganzas days. Gytha North will direct the evacuation Should Gytha be unavailable, the Tech Manager based in Hall 5 will direct the evacuation.

Hall 5 - Programming days. The Hall manager will direct the evacuation.

Hall 4 - Fanfare etc. Because of the size of Hall 4 , six people are needed to direct an evacuation there. These people are :

Fan Fair Chief or nominated Deputy
Art Show Chief or nominated Deputy
Dealer' s Room Chief or nominated Deputy
Kidcon Chief or nominated Deputy
Gopher Hole Chief or nominated Deputy
Gopher Hole Shift manager

Offices - because there will be people working in the offices, certain designated people will also have "Evacuation Marshall'' armbands , they should ensure their staff are directed out safely and that the offices are locked behind them.

The Ops Room - if it is an all-building evacuation, then the Ops Room itself must be evacuated and locked. If it is a single-Hall evacuation, then the SECC Senior Security Officer will advise whether or not to evacuate the Ops Room.

All of these people will have "Evacuation Marshall" armbands, to be kept concealed until and unless an evacuation is ordered.

John Harold and Gytha North are writing the text of the message announcing an evacuation order.

KIDCON / CHILDCARE:

Kidcon / Childcare will inform parents where to go to meet their children, in the event of an evacuation, the first time that parents come to Kidcon to register their children. The Gopher Hole shift manager will direct certain gophers to immediately go across to Kidcon to assist Kidcon staff in evacuating the children. (These two areas are very close to each other).

RETURN AFTER AN EVACUATION

Obviously we don't want any ordinary fans back inside the building until we are set up to receive them again.

There are 2 designated areas for people to assemble in outside the building at either end during an evacuation. These areas are in the car parks at either end of the SECC building. Each Evacuation Marshall will collect their team of workers and wait at the front of this area, ready.

The SECC will give the all-clear when the building is ready for use again.

At this point our stewards will take up position barring entry to the building at either end. They will then allow the Division Heads and Area Heads and their teams to return to the building. The Chairs and Deputies will stay outside with the crowds.

When they think all the staff for each Area of the con, and for the Offices etc., have entered, our security will do a sweep of the building to ensure each area has the appropriate people manning it and is set up to receive ordinary fans again.

When every Area is ready, ordinary fans will be allowed back into the building, with our stewards doing badgechecks as they go m.

25 OPS PROCEDURES - SIMPLE PROBLEMS

1. Opening and Closing the Ops Room, etc.
2. Priority Users
3. Log Books
4. What Other Departments Do
5. Examples of problems

OPENING AND CLOSING OPS ROOM AND OFFICES

We will hold the keys for the Offices in the Ops area.

These should be held by either Fiona or Patty when the Ops Room is closed and one of them will open the Ops Offices in the morning, the other to lock up in the evening. During the day these keys will be kept in the Ops Room, by the Ops manager on shift. Ops will open at 0830 am, and will close around O100 / 0130 am, when the SECC closes.

PRIORITY USERS

If you have several problems at the same time, or there are competing requests for the same equipment/ personnel then these get priority:

1.Emergencies - fire/medical/bomb/evacuations
2.Health and Safety problems
3.Security and Tech requests
4.program office requests
5.anyone else

LOG BOOKS

These are NOT to write every single problem in. The purpose of a log book is to aid your memory when you brief the people coming in on the next shift after you who

Only write down those problems which:

1.are likely to recur later
2.are likely to need follow up action later
3.require you to call in the DCM/SECC/Patty or Fiona
4.any security situations
5.any medical situations
6.any sponsors problems
7.contractual - who authorised/requested the SECC/Tech contractor to do whatever extra work. Note that, ALL such requests must have the approval of SITE before they can be permitted to be made to the SECC. (these are the types of requests that could cost us several thousand pounds each, no matter how trivial they seem to you.) Entries in the log should be under these headings:

DATE TIME INCIDENT ACTION TAKEN FOLLOW UP NEEDED?

Entries for medical situations should be under these headings

NAME OF INJURED PERSON
BADGE NUMBER OF INJURED PERSON
DATE
TIME
NATURE OF INJURY
HOW IT OCCURRED
WHERE IT OCCURRED
WHO ATTENDED THE INJURED PERSON
REPORTED TO SECC MEDICAL STAFF?
FOLLOW UP ACTION NEEDED?

Remember that the purpose of a logbook is to help you brief your successor, who will turn up 15 minutes early on shift for that purpose. Anyone in the Ops staff on duty may read any of the 3 logs, to familiarise themselves with everything that has come in.

Normally there are 3 logs - one for each Deputy and one for the Manager.

WHAT OTHER DEPARTMENTS DO

HEALTH AND SAFETY

Gytha North is the Board' s Health and Safety Co-ordinator, and will deal with all Health and Safety issues.

SITE

All dealings with the SECC must he referrd to SITE, becallse of the potential costs. Exceptions to this are asking the SECC to repair stuff like non-flushing toilets. (Asking the SECC to provide extra equipment or services is a hanging Offence ! )

i/c Mark Meenan

CHILDCARE/KIDCON

Look after the children, with some Programming to entertain the older children. Babies and very young children will be in 2 suites in the Moathouse. Older children will be in Kidcon in Hall 4

i/c Jenny Glover

DISABLED ACCESS

Ensure that disabled are enabled to enjoy the convention, providing general help and support to them.

i/c Cuddles

EXTRAVAGANZAS

In charge of major event in Hall 5 - Hugos, Masquerade, Opening ceremony, Closing Ceremony.

i/c Gytha North

FAN FAIR

In charge of most things in hall 4, including Dealer' s Room and Art Show as well as fan activities. (Hall 4 also contains Kidcon and the Gopher Hole)

i/c Helen Steele

FINANCE

The Ops Manager will be able to call on Finance for up to 100 pounds as needed. There will also be a Finance petty cash system operating out of the Security room beside Ops.

Any major expenses which suddenly occur must be referred to Finance. This includes asking the SECC to do stuff for us - which could cost us *lots* of money.

FOREIGN LEGION

Deals with the problems of non UK/US fans. This is a pre-con Division, and does not exist con - see section on Eastern European Fans for the special arrangements which apply to them.

i/c Heidi Lyshol

NEWSLETTER

Produce a daily newsletter of events, Roving reporters collect the facts and the gossip, or people can drop, off stuff with them.

i/c Steve Davies

PARTY LIAISON

See that bid parties and other parties are properly arranged and run smoothly

Fan and bid parties will be in the Central and the Crest.

Bid parties are parties hosted by various groups hoping to publicise their candidacy as a future Worldcon site.

PROGRAM OFFICE

Deals with all aspects of the program, and with guests.

Includes Green Room and Guest liaison

Program Areas include:

Comics, Fan Program, Filk, Film, Games, Literary, Media, Science.

i/c Tina Hewett

REGISTRATION

Sells memberships. Hands out pre-paid membership packs

Deals with membership queries.

i/c Wim van der Bospoort

WSFS (the World Science Fiction Society)

Run the 3 functions absolutely required to happen at Worldcons. 1.Site Selection Oversees the election held to select the site of the Worldcon 3 years hence. 2.WSFS Business Meeting The formal meeting of the membership to discuss and change the rules of WSFS. This meeting is open to all the members of the convention and functionally works as if it were just another series of program items. 3.Hugo Administration Counts the ballots for the Hugo awards and prepares the envelopes and trophies for the Awards Ceremony, but does not usually run the ceremony itself. This ceremony is an event handled by the Extravaganzas Division.

i/c Paul Dormer.

EASTERN EUROPEAN PROBLEMS

Because the Eastern European fandoms have been separated from us until recently, there are a number of special problems that can arise as we all adjust to each other' s fannish cultures.

There are a number of other problems that are caused by the systems our own authorities use when dealing with people from Eastern European countries.

When an Eastern European has a problem, there are a lot of unexpected related problems that can arise as a consequence of the first problem, that would not arise if you were dealing with other fans.

Some problem that would seem to have an obvious answer can easily turn into a major cost to the convention, or a major disaster, quite unexpectedly when dealing with Eastern Europeans - this is through no ill-will on their part.

Our procedure therefore is this:

ALL problems (that are not utterly trivial) involving Eastern Europeans MUST be passed to Heidi Lyshol (head of Foreign Legion), or to Fiona Anderson BEFORE ANY OTHER ACTION IS TAKEN, AND BEFORE ANYONE ELSE IS CONTACTED...

Generally you need to refer Eastern Euro problems to Heidi or Fiona if it involves:

1.Anything to do with Eastern European's accommodations.
2.Anything to do with ESFS (European Science Fiction Society)
3.Anything to do with FATW (Fans Across The World)
4.British Immigration
British Immigration law is very complex and can easily trip you up. The following things might leave the convention (or you personally) financially liable for sponsoring immigrants' expenses:
a)visas queries
b)letters of invitation
c)letters of welcome
d)Declaring to Immigration that the person is a member - the wording here is tricky, if you get it wrong, you lay yourself open to various liabilities.
e)a host of other seemingly innocuous queries from Immigration.

Since we will be having several hundred Eastern Europeans, the scale of potential financial problems is huge - it would much preferred you throw a trivial Eastern Euro problem at Fiona or Heidi than take any chances

TECH PROBLEMS - EXAMPLES

1. Techies fail to turn up to Ops in time for their shifts. Report this to roving Tech Duty Manager
2. A techie reports his kit is malfunctioning and will need to be shut down for repairs. Report this to roving Tech Duty Manager, and to Program Ops (since this will probably affect program items in that location).
3. A techie reports his kit is dangerous, and that the Hall he is in may need to be evacuated. Tell him to shut off the power to the kit
Tell the roving Tech Duty Manager to go there immediately
Tell the SECC Security, so they can go and look - they will decide if an evacuation is to be ordered.

Inform the people on the list (see page 18) and Gytha North (Health and Safety) Prepare for evacuation procedure - but DO NOT start is unless the SECC order it - and then only if it is ordered through the correct person ( see SECC emergency procedures booklet).

SECURITY PROBLEMS - EXAMPLES

(Probability)

1. Theft in Dealer's room (sometimes)
Get our Security to find out from dealer what is missing. Report theft to SECC security. Depending on what is missing, call in police. Inform Margaret Austin for insurance purposes.

2. Con attendee has lost all their cash and credit cards (sometimes)
Get our Security to find out if they know where they last had these. Check with lost property (in Front Office)
Tell person to cancel all cards. Call police to check if any cards found, and report possible theft to them. (Front Office will hold lost property, but will also keep Information Desk informed)

3. Con attendee has lost their passport (sometimes)
Inform our Security/Stewards/Gophers to be on the lookout for it. Find out if there is a consulate in Glasgow (which could issue a new one for the person) Need a list of Consulates addresses and phone numbers to be held in Ops. Check with the Police.

4. There is a group of kids playing with toy guns in Hall 4 (common)
Inform Chief Steward, who will remind them of the Weapons policy.

5. There is a group of people wearing costumes with weapons round the con (sometimes)
Inform Chief Steward, who will remind them of Weapons Policy.

6. Someone comes to you to get their weapon okayed (sometimes)
Call in Security (who are next door to Ops!) to give a decision, and back that decision

7. There is a fight between two men (How sexist! Keith) (very rare)
Try not to get hit. Call in our Security, and the SECC Security too.

8. There is a fight between a whole group of people (very rare)
Call in SECC Security.

9. People turn up with forged convention badges (sometimes)
Get our Stewards to escort them to Registration for a check up

10. A guest has lost a very valuable piece of jewelry (rare)
Inform Guest Liaison Inform our Stewards, with description Inform SECC staff Check with lost property (in Front Office)

11. A foreign diplomat turns up (Likely)
If it is an Eastern European, check with Fiona straight away what to do. If it is not an Eastern European, give it to the DCM to handle.

12. A foreign diplomat turns up with Secret Service men (unlikely)
Call for Chief Steward to deal with it. He should find out if the Secret Service are armed, if they have a local police liaison - and who that is. Get in touch with the local police. Inform Fiona or Patty This means *inform* us that they have arrived; it does not mean shadowing these guys to keep track of them. The last thing we want to do is make them nervous. Most likely their chief security person will be asking to be put in contact with our security people.

13 While the diplomat is still there, there are people moving electrical equipment (unlikely)
around (for legitimate reasons). This makes the Secret Service nervous. Send in the Chief Steward to calm them.

I4. There is a series of hoax phone calls about a bomb threat. (possible)
Treat them all as serious. Inform our security Inform the SECC and follow the SECC procedure - see the SECC Emergency Procedures booklet. Prepare evacuation plans - but DO NOT start evacuation unless the SECC order it. Inform all the people on the list on page 18. Pray - or whatever you do to placate the appropriate deities

While a number of the problems here are tagged as "rare" or "unlikely': they are all taken from situations that actually happened at cons in the past.

CHILDREN - PROBLEMS

1. Parents want to sign up for Childcare/Kidcon Send them to appropriate group and tell them they will have to pay for it. 0-3.5 years in Moathouse, and 3.5-12 years Hall 4. There is a leaflet available about Kidcon/Childcare

2. Lost child (under 5 years old) somewhere in the SECC Call Kidcon and Childcare first - many fans will take stray children there immediately. Find out description of child and clothing. Call our Security and SECC Security to search for child.

3. Lost child (under 12 years old) As above. Remember to ask child when found if the person is their parent or not.

4. Lost child (under 16 years old) As above. Again remember to ask child if person is parent or not.

5. Children causing havoc - racing round in Hall 4 chasing each other. Ask Stewards to stop children and escort them back to Childcare area - Stewards are NOT to touch children. If children persist call in SECC Security to deal with.

6. Children causing havoc - a small group doing petty thefts for dares in the Dealer' s Room Ask Stewards to stop children. Find parents - escort parents and children out of SECC, exclude from convention. Do NOT touch any children or parents - ask SECC Security to deal with difficult types.

7. Children causing havoc - being rude to congoers - shouting and causing upsets. Find parents - warn parents that if behaviour persists they and their children will. be excluded from con.

8. Parents late to collect children by 30 minutes. Is there a reasonable excuse? If not Childcare will give them a warning that next time it happens they will not be allowed further use of Childcare facility.

9. Parents late to collect children by 3 hours Is there a reasonable excuse? If not, they will be excluded from further use of Childcare facility.

10. Sick child.
Report to SECC medical staff immediately. Do NOT do any first aid.
The SECC medical staff will decide if an ambulance needs to be called.
Ask SECC to tannoy for parents .

Generally fannish children are well behaved and you are unlikely to encounter the behavioural problems here - though it has happened on odd occasions.

RADIO PROBLEMS - EXAMPLES

1. Someone is making minor mistakes in following the Radio Procedure
Do not worry about it .
As long as they are trying to do the right thing, we are not bothered by minor mistakes.

2. Someone is pressing their radio switch down all the time, so the system is jammed.
Get Stewards to ask all known Ops radio users to check their switches are OK.

3. Someone is totally ignoring the Radio Procedure, by not talking to Ops.
Since Ops has to control who is allowed to speak at any time, this one has to be stamped on.
Try "Hello X, please remember to put your calls through Ops, thank you Out."
If they persist send the Ops Trouble-shooter to reason with them - do not argue on air.

4. Someone asks permission to talk to someone else directly.
If it is Tech to Tech, give an okay - as long as there are no urgent problems going down (e.g. a Security situation) which need priority.
If it is Fiona or Patty, give an okay.
For anyone else, it is usually a "no" to this, unless there are very special circumstances.

5. Someone is aggressive to you on the radio.
Inform your line manager - do not argue on air.
Your line manager may phone the person to reason with them, or have a quiet word later, or whatever. (Some people don't realise how they sound on air)

6. You cannot understand what the person is saying, because of their accent.
Ask them to speak more slowly.
If you still cannot understand, ask one of the other people in the room if they can.
If all fails, tell the person you cannot understand them, and they will have to find someone to speak for them, or get their message to Ops by some other means.
If they persist in speaking, send the Ops Trouble-shooter to deal with them, so the radio system doesn't get jammed

26 BIG OR AWKWARD PROBLEMS

Anything the Ops Deputy feels is big or awkward should be passed to the Ops Manager or the Ops Trouble-shooter.

If you have sent the Ops Trouble-shooter somewhere, tell the Ops Manager.

Either the Ops Manager or the Ops Trouble-shooter can decide to call in Fiona or Patty to deal with the really vile problems.

ALL problems involving Eastern Europeans MUST be passed to Heidi Lyshol, or Fiona Anderson, before any other action may be taken. (See Eastern European problems section)

ALL. problems involving the SECC must be passed to SITE to deal with, as asking the SECC to provide us with any equipment or services can cost large sums of money, even for seemingly trivial stuff.

Safety Problems must be passed to Gytha North, who will call for whatever additional support she needs.

Tech problems should all be passed to the Tech Manager in Hall 5, or to the roving Duty Tech Manager if it is anywhere else.

Queries concerning TV / press should all be passed to the Press Liaison person, who will be on bleep. If they are unavailable contact Claire Brialey or Mark Plummer (who are likely to be in the Dealers Room)

This could include queries from the Press about the con generally, about specific authors or events, or requests for permission to film events or interview authors etc. We have an exclusive TV deal with one of the TV companies, and the Press liaison should have details of this. There is no circumstance under which Ops should be involved in giving permission to film anything or interview anyone. (see section on Interaction with Press Liaison)

27 LATE NIGHT PROCEDURES

The Ops Room will close when the SECC closes, and there will be no formal Ops shifts after that.

MOATHOUSE

Has only videos and gaming and possible readings at night.

One of the gamers (picked by Tina Hewett) will have bleep numbers to call the Duty Tech or the DCM if needed.

CREST/CENTRAL

Security will have a quiet room in each. These will be referred to as "Convention Liaison Offices"

Security will have bleep (beeper) numbers to call DCM if needed.

Security will liaise with party organisers etc., to ensure smooth running of parties, etc.

REGISTRATION

Will be running a varying schedule to take account of differing levels of demands for service as the convention progresses. It will not necessarily run as late as 2300, if there is only light demand.

Monday I500- 1800
Tuesday 1500-1800
Wednesday 0900-2300
Thursday 0900-2300
Friday 0900-1900
Saturday 0900-1900 (possibly later if there is sufficient demand. )
Sunday 0900-1900
Monday 0900-1500

After Registration closes they will leave a set of temporary badges with Ops, and instructions. These temporary badges can be swapped for a permanent badge at Registration the next day. Ops must give Registration a list of the names of people who were given temporary badges, as soon as possible the next morning.

28 RADIOS, BLEEPS, AND TELEPHONES

There will be a list of exactly who is on bleep (bleeper) kept in the Ops Room and the Program Of]ice. This list is not to be handed out nor are the numbers to be given out to anyone who asks for them. Ops and Program Office are the only people who should be bleeping people. (Except at night - see page 37). Since this list is only in these 2 places, people bleeped need only check in with Ops or Program to find out why they have been bleeped.

Many people will have mobile phones as well as bleeps - they should be bleeped first, and then they will call Ops or Program Office - this will avoid any disturbance in program areas.

There are two types of telephones in the SECC - an internal mercury system in the offices, (which is free or cheap), and BT phones elsewhere (which are not cheap). The BT phones are in the Halls. There will be a list of these telephone numbers.

It is more common to use radios in the UK (rather than phones), due to less availability of phone technology.

There will be 3 sets of radios:

Those being used by Program, with a base station in the Program Office
Those being used by our Stewards/ Security, with a base station in the Stewards office.
Those being used by Ops and Tech, with a base station in the Ops Room.

Radios will be stored in the Tech room (Hebrides) and signed out and in again.
Only certain people will be allowed to have a radio, depending on their job function.
The use of radios must be strictly controlled, in order to avoid confusion and chaos.
Having them stored in the Tech room also allows the techies to recharge batteries and look after them generally

The radio operator in the Ops Room is in charge of the Ops radio net:

They will control who is allowed to speak at any time.

People having radios on the Ops net may include:

Fiona or Patty
Ops Trouble-shooter,
Gopher Hole
Registration
Fan Fair
Dealer' s Room
Art Show
Tech managers and Tech staff'

People having bleeps or mobile phones may include:
Fiona and Patty Chairs
Tech managers Security
Program managers Site
Press liaison Finance
Sponsors Liaison Art Show / Dealers

29 HANDY HINTS FOR USING A RADIO

1. Use the telephone instead.
The less people use the radios, the less confusion arises.

2. Sign your radio out from the Tech base at the beginning of your shift, and sign it back in at the end of your shift. This will let Tech keep track of the radios, and give them an opportunity to recharge the batteries as well.

3. Do not press the switch until you are ready to send.
This jams all the other radios, and no-one else can speak until you stop pressing that switch. When you wish to speak, press the transmit button and hold for about 1 second before speaking - this will ensure that your first word will not be lost.

4. All calls go to Ops, if you are on the Ops radio net.
(Stewards and Program have different radio nets.)

5. If Ops tells you to WAIT, don't try calling again for 5 minutes. if they are telling you to wait, it is because they are busy with other problems.

IF YOU ARE THE OPS RADIO CREW

6. Tell the caller to WAIT in any case where you are doubt what to say or do. This gives you time to get advice and help.

7. The Ops Deputy Manager is there to decide what to do about problems.
They may also give you messages to send out.
Any really awful problems will be given to the Ops Manager by the Deputy.

8. As long as you keep calm you will be OK on the radio.

30 RADIOS - GENERAL OUTLINE AND PROCEDURE

At a Worldcon you may have up to 15 people on the radio net at anyone time. Who can speak is controlled by the Ops Room radio crew.

If you want to speak you start with

" Hello Ops, this is Green Room, over"

Ops will then either let you go ahead or stop you while someone else is dealt with.

e.g. "Hello Ops, this is Green Room, over"
"Ops to Green Room, go ahead, over"
"Green Room here, we need a gopher, over"
"Ops to Green Room, OK we'll arrange that out"

or "Hello Ops, this is Green Room, over"
"Ops to Green Room, wait, out"

Radios are very tempting to chat on, but you should resist this urge.

Radios should be kept for problems that need quick responses.

What follows is a detailed explanation of radio terms, with some examples of good and bad use, plus a few handy hints at the end.

RADIO TERMS

Let's look at that example again.

''Hello Ops, this is Green Room, over"

"Hello" always starts a new conversation.

"Hello Ops" tells everyone you want to talk to OPS

"This is Green Room" always identify yourself at the start of a sentence, to avoid confusion as to who is speaking, since there are multiple users on the radio.

"Over" you have finished your sentence, but not your conversation.

"Out" you have finished your conversation.

EXAMPLES

1. "Hello Ops, this is the Fan Program, over"
"Ops to Fan Program. go ahead, over'
"Fan Progrrun here, we need some blu-tack over"
"Ops to Fan Program, OK we'll send some along, out"

2. "Hello Ops, this is the Fan Program, over"
"Ops to Fan Program, wait, out"
You should not call Ops again for at least 5 minutes after being told to wait. (Ops is busy with some other problem.)

3. "Hello Ops, this is ……………garble. garble"

You are not being heard clearly - this can happen even when you can hear everyone else OK.This is due to the peculiarities of a site itself. Go somewhere else and then try again.

"Hello Ops, this is the Green Room, I need 5 gophers to move tables and chairs, over" "Ops to Green Room, OK on the gophers, but next time PLEASE wait for Ops to give the go-ahead before starting your message THANK YOU, out"

Remember that these people are trying to be helpful so always use PLEASE and THANK YOU when telling people off.

5. "Hello Fan Room, this is the Green Room, over"
"Ops to Fan Room, PLEASE put your call to Ops first THANK YOU, out'

If you let people bypass Ops and talk to each other directly, everything soon turns to chaos.

6. "Hello Ops, this is the Green Room, over"
"Ops to Green Room, go ahead, over"
"Green Room here, request permission to talk to Fan Program direct, over"
"Ops to Green Room, NO, use the phone or send a runner. out"

It Is unlikely that anyone will have a good reason to bypass Ops on the radio net.

7. "Hello Ops, this is the techie in Hall 3, over"
"Ops to Hall 3 techie, go ahead, over"
"Hall 3 techie to Ops, request permission to talk to Tech Manager directly, over"
"Ops to Hall 3 techie, permission granted out"
"Hall 3 techie to Tech Manager, over"

Thus Is the exception to (5). Techies will be on our net, and they may need to discuss stuff directly with their Tech Manager. Let them do it, if we have nothing urgent going down. but not otherwise. (The only other exceptions would be a request from Fiona or Patty, or by permission of the Ops Manager.) It's always better to get the Tech Manager to go to the techie instead of clogging up our radio net.